1 a period marked by distinctive character or reckoned from a fixed point or event [syn: era]
2 (astronomy) the precise date that is the point of reference for which information (as coordinates of a celestial body) is referred [syn: date of reference]
3 a unit of geological time
- Bosnian: epoha
- Bulgarian: епоха (epoha)
- Croatian: epoha
- French: époque
- Finnish: aikakausi, epookki
- German: Epoche
- Greek: εποχή
- Italian: epoca (1)
- Polish: epoka
- Portuguese: época
- Russian: эпоха /epóχa/
- Serbian: епоха epoha
- Spanish: época
- Swedish: epok
- εποχή (Modern Greek)
Depending on context, epoch can refer to:
Period of time
- a distinctive historical period or era
- a unit of the geologic time scale, less than a period and greater than an age
- a phase in the development of the universe with distinctive properties
Moment in time
- epoch (reference date) - a significant event, time, or moment which is chosen as a new origin for time measurements, usually as the delimiting factor of an era.
- epoch (astronomy) - a precise moment in time for which celestial coordinates or orbital elements are specified
- Epoch (magazine), the literary magazine of Cornell University.
- Epoch (Age of Conan), a guild in Age of Conan's Aquilonia EU server.
- Ha-Tsefirah (lit. Epoch), a Hebrew language newspaper published in 1862 and 1874-1931.
- Epoch (film), a science fiction film directed by Matt Codd
- Epoch Game Pocket Computer, an early hand-held game console
- Epoch Co., the maker of the above and other computer games
- Epoch (Chrono Trigger), a flying time machine in role-playing game Chrono Trigger
- Epoch (DC Comics), a supervillain also known as the Lord of Time
- Epoch (Marvel Comics), a cosmic entity in the Marvel Comics universe.
- Epoch Hunter (World of Warcraft), a boss in World of Warcraft's Caverns of Time; Old Hillsbrad Foothills.
- The Epoch Times, a privately owned Falun Gong-linked newspaper
- Epoch operating system was a European research project in the 1990s to build an operating system based on the ChorusOS operating system kernel.
- a step in the training process of an artificial neural network
epoch in Catalan: Època
epoch in German: Epoche
epoch in French: Époque
epoch in Italian: Epoca
epoch in Luxembourgish: Epoch
epoch in Dutch: Epoche
epoch in Japanese: エポック
epoch in Polish: Epoka
epoch in Portuguese: Época
epoch in Russian: Эпоха (значения)
epoch in Serbo-Croatian: Epoha
epoch in Finnish: Epookki